Last Name:
First Name:
Log In

Advanced Search Surnames

Most Wanted
What's New

All Media

Dates and Anniversaries

Change Language

Contact Us
Register for a User Account
Our Family Genealogy Pages


» Show All     «Prev «1 ... 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 ... 42» Next»     » Slide Show

Samuel Stewart Tomb Description

Describes the resting place of Samuel Stewart


The Tomb of Samuel Stewart is located on the Metairie Avenue Loop (riverside towards Metairie Road) in Section 14, Lots 23 and 25. This is in an older portion of the Metairie Cemetery where many, if not most, of the dates of death listed predate 1872 which is the year the cemetery was created. This suggest that most of these remains were moved from an earlier burial site. (Note: major portions of St. Louis Cemetery #1 which some indications suggest may be the site of the original Giquel family interments was substantially relocated by the creation of Basin Street which now runs in front of the cemetery.)

The Samuel Stewart tomb contains three vaults in a vertical line. All three faceplates are inscribed as well as the bordering superstructure between the upper and center, and center and lower vault. (Note: New Orleans toms use a device called a "caveau" which is a depository recess in the rear of the vault to deposit older remains when a new burial is made into the same vault.) The inscriptions on these vaults are time worn and some may be reset at this location from the original burial site.

As best as the inscriptions can be read, it appears as follows…

"Samuel Stewart," appears written in relief above the vaults on the tomb face itself.

The top vault faceplate reads as follows…

J.A.C. Wadsworth
Jan. 8, 1842 – Jan. 28, 1896

Ermina Stewart
Widow of J.A.C. Wadsworth
Nov. 28, 1844 – July 13, 1941

Henry J. Harvey
Dec. 20, 1885 – July 2, 1970

On the superstructure between the top and center vault is inscribed….

1936 - Herbert J. Harvey, Jr. - 1981

The center vault faceplate reads as follows…

To The Memory of
Seymour A. Stewart
Who Fell A Victime to the Awfull
Calamity at the Last Island
On the 10th of August 1856
At the Age of 20 Years, 11 Months and 20 Days

[SPECIAL NOTE: This entry refers to the August 10, 1856 hurricane that devastated Iles Dernieres or Last Island. Last Island was a five-mile long island few miles off the marshy swamps of the mainland. The island featured guesthouses, beach houses for the wealthy, bungalows, a hotel, fine food, and orchestra entertainment. In August 1856 the island was packed with vacationers. Then, without warning, in the late afternoon a major hurricane struck the island directly. A steamboat sent to rescue the islanders was forced around and added to the persons stranded on the island. High winds and a tidal wave stuck directly from the Gulf of Mexico with all the force a hurricane can muster. Every single structure on the island was either blown, or washed away. People clung to trees, or parts of structures for hours. The water was over their heads. Some who were wrenched loose clung to floating debris. Officially 174 were known to have died and about 200 survived. Unofficially! estimates suggest over 300 people perished. The island also disappeared that day. All that remain from them today are a series of small, naked sandbars sitting off the coast.]

D [?] Herminia Stewart
Died July 13th 1837
Aged 11 Months and 10 Days
Mary Nisida Stewart
Died February 16, 1817 [1847?]
[Aged 6 yrs., 6 mos. and 8 days]
And Their Grandmother
Mary D[?] De St. K[R]omes
Consort of J.B.F. Giquel
Died August 7th 1842
Aged 59 Years

[SPECIAL NOTE: This appears to confirm her identity as being Jean Baptiste Francois Giquel’s second wife, Marie Elisabeth Durand De St. Romes. They were married in 1819. She was born in 1785 in New Orleans, La, and died August 7, 1842 in New Orleans, La. (Source: Erin Dazzo, Colleen Fitzpatrick, & Maureen O'Connor, Orleans Parish Death Index-Excerpts, "Electronic," 1842 Index, Volume 9, page 438 Transcribed by Erin Dazzo October 2000.)]

A cement vase at the right hand foot of the tom bears the initials, "M.N.S."
Two decorative cement urns flanking the front of the base of the tomb each have, "Seymour" inscribed on them.
A small metal plaque at the front base of the lot reads, "Perpetual Care M.C.A.," (M.C.A. may stand for Metairie Cemetery Association).

Owner of originalPaul Shipp
Linked toSamuel Stewart

» Show All     «Prev «1 ... 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 ... 42» Next»     » Slide Show


This site powered by The Next Generation of Genealogy Sitebuilding, Copyright © 2001-2006, created by Darrin Lythgoe, Sandy, Utah. All rights reserved.